Many pet owners do not realize the importance of pet dental care, we want pet owners to be aware of the connection between good oral health and good physical health in their pets. Here at Yalesville Vet, during your yearly exam our doctors will always take time to look at your pets mouth to determine whether professional dental care is recommended (build-up on teeth, red or inflamed gums, visibly broken teeth, a foul smell, etc.)
During Your Pet's Dental Cleaning, You Can Expect:
- Pre-anesthetic blood work to ensure that your pet is healthy enough for anesthesia
- Anesthesia accompanied by surgical monitoring to ensure your pet's safety throughout the procedure
- A thorough examination of your pet's oral cavity
- Cleaning of your pet's teeth
- Removal of buildup such as tartar or plaque
- Dental X-Rays, if needed
- Extraction of any diseased or broken teeth, if needed
After your pet's dental care, our team will discuss the results with you and offer our recommendations for continuing at-home dental care as well as send your pet home with our Dental Home Kit which includes some items to help keep your pets teeth clean.
Facts Every Pet Owner Should Know About Pet Dental Care:
- Oral disease is the #1 health problem diagnosed in dogs and cats
- Dental disease is the #1 health problem in pets over 7 years of age and the #2 health problem in pets under 7 years of age
- Dental disease is the most common cause of bad breath
- When left untreated, dental disease leads to a number of physical health conditions including infections in the heart, liver, lungs, and kidneys.